RINGSIDE POLITICS – MAY 4, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on May 4, 2021
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) In his first 100 days, President Biden focused on the coronavirus pandemic, but over the course of his term, the Biden presidency will be defined by how the United States competes with China. In a few years, China’s economy is expected to surpass the U.S. as the world’s biggest.
To determine how the United States will deal with China’s growing influence, Mr. Biden has chosen one of his closest aides as secretary of state. It falls to Antony Blinken to rebuild a depleted and demoralized State Department, repair U.S. alliances and champion what diplomats call “the rules-based international order” — the written and unwritten code that governs how nations deal with one another. Rules that, he says, are now threatened by China.
2) While the Biden administration continues to open convention centers, military bases and other ‘influx’ locations for a surge of migrant children and families, taxpayers pay up to a million dollars a day for empty detention beds that could otherwise be filled.
The administration currently has in custody some 19,000 unaccompanied children and it released almost 60% of migrant families encountered at the border in February. Yet Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE) pays for thousands of empty beds for migrant adults and families.
3) Republican Senator Mitt Romney still doesn’t get how low his party has sunk. That was painfully obvious when the Utah Senator was “lustily booed” — as the Salt Lake Tribune put it — on Saturday by a large swath of the over 2,100 GOP delegates who attended the party’s state political convention.
4) Chris Christie is once again accusing President Biden of lying, this time charging that the president is “not telling the truth” about the tax increases inside the sweeping spending proposal he’ll unveil on Wednesday night.
Speaking hours before Biden’s first address in front of Congress, the former two-term GOP governor of New Jersey and 2016 Republican presidential candidate-turned-political analyst and pundit argued that the president is “not telling the truth to the American people to hide a socialist agenda.”
1) Dr. Tom Borelli, Contributor, Real America’s Voice; Former Business Executive and Congressional Staffer
2) Michelle Hirstius; Author and Commentator; Ringside Politics All-Star