RINGSIDE POLITICS – JUNE 18, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on June 21, 2021
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) A brazen daytime shoplifting incident captured on video at a Walgreens in San Francisco on Monday has highlighted what local officials say has become a consistent problem, particularly for chain drug stores in the city.
2) House Speaker Nancy Pelosi didn’t directly answer a yes-or-no question about whether an “unborn baby at 15 weeks is a human being,” instead reaffirming a woman’s right to choose.
“Let me just say that I am a big supporter of Roe v. Wade. I am a mother of five children in six years. I think I have some standing on this issue as to respecting a woman’s right to choose,” Pelosi, D-Calif., said during her weekly press conference Thursday.
The question was in reference to the Supreme Court’s plan to take up a Mississippi law that bans abortions after 15 weeks. The law was struck down by a federal judge in 2018, and again by the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in December 2019. Roe v. Wade, the 1973 landmark Supreme Court decision, legalized abortion prior to viability, or about 24 weeks into a pregnancy.
3) The Supreme Court, though increasingly conservative in makeup, rejected the latest major Republican-led effort to kill the national health care law known as “Obamacare” on Thursday, preserving insurance coverage for millions of Americans.
The justices, by a 7-2 vote, left the entire Affordable Care Act intact in ruling that Texas, other GOP-led states and two individuals had no right to bring their lawsuit in federal court. The Biden administration says 31 million people have health insurance because of the law, which also survived two earlier challenges in the Supreme Court.
4) House Republicans are not satisfied with the Biden administration’s stance against the Chinese government when it comes to making sure there is a thorough investigation of the coronavirus pandemic.
National Security adviser Jake Sullivan told “Fox News Sunday” that China would face “isolation from the international community” if a proper probe does not take place, but there are those in Congress who would prefer to see more direct – and immediate – action.
1) Rick Manning, President of Americans for Limited Government