CHEW ON THIS – MAY 20, 2023
Written by WGSO Producer on May 20, 2023
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Today on Chew On This with Don Clement and Patty B, former WVUE anchor and life couch Kim Holden https://www.facebook.com/kimholdenfox8/ shares one of her favorite recipes, (healthy) Creamy Garlic Tuscan Shrimp. Kim can also be reached at 504-715-0990.
CREAMY GARLIC TUSCAN SHRIMP
Serves 4. Each serving: ½ leanest, 2 fats, 3 condiments, 1 green
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 pound shrimp — tails off
½ cup diced green onions
2.5 oz sundried tomatoes (just dried; not packed in oil)
1 ½ cups half and half (you can also use 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk instead; this would result in 0 healthy fats per serving)
¼ tsp each- salt and pepper
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoons dried Italian herbs
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and fry until fragrant (about one minute). Add in the shrimp and fry two minutes on each side, until cooked through and pink. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
2. Fry the green onions in the skillet. Add the sun dried tomatoes and fry for 1-2 minutes to release their flavors.
3. Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the half and half and bring to a gentle simmer, while stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
4. Add in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt in the sauce, and add in the parmesan cheese. Allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. (For a thicker sauce, add the half and half mixture to the center of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.)
5. Add the shrimp back into the pan; sprinkle with the herbs and parsley, and stir through.
6. Serve over steamed veggies or cauliflower rice