RINGSIDE POLITICS – MAY 21, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on May 21, 2021
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) A privileged resolution filed by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy seeking to change the current mask guidance in the House of Representatives and allow members to be maskless on the House floor was blocked by Democrats on Wednesday evening.
2) A package containing an unknown substance and addressed to Senate President Karen Fann on Thursday is being investigated.
The package was found at the Arizona State Senate building and the Department of Public Safety troopers secured it and sent it to a lab to determine what’s inside.
No injuries or illnesses were reported, and the substance contained in the package is still unknown.
3) Top Democrats this week were measured in their support for Israel, even as the longstanding U.S. ally faced a continued barrage of rocket attacks from Hamas, amid pressure from their far-left flank to condemn Israel.
The fighting came to a stop after more than 200 deaths over 11 days on Friday when Israel announced a cease-fire, which was negotiated with the help of Egypt, the neighboring country that for decades has served as a mediator in conflicts in the region.
But before the fighting ended, Democratic leaders, including President Biden and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., walked a thin line between backing Israel’s right to defend itself and avoiding alienating vocal anti-Israel voices within their own party.
4) Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has released more than 60,000 migrants into the U.S. since President Biden took office in January, as the administration has scrambled to deal with a dramatic surge in numbers at the border — which critics say is a crisis of its own making.
Since February, 61,312 migrants have been released into the interior with either a Notice to Appear or an I-385, which fast tracks migrants out of custody with a notice to report to an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office.
1) Dr. Richard Fleming, Cardiologist and Researcher
2) Chris Holton, Vice President of Outreach, Center for Security Policy
3) Ed Martin, President of Phyllis Schlafly’s Eagles
4) Irv Magri, President of Crime Fighters of Louisiana