RINGSIDE POLITICS – MAY 20, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on May 20, 2021
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) At face value, the fact that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) is defending the Jan. 6 insurrectionist rioters, and opposes the creation of a bipartisan commission to investigate the attack on the Capitol, is the least surprising story in recent memory. But there is a larger context to this.
Georgia GOP Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene said supporters of former President Donald Trump who stormed the U.S. Capitol on January 6 are “being abused” in federal custody as she blasted House calls for a commission to study the insurrection.
“The people that breached the Capitol on Jan. 6 are being abused,” the right-wing congresswoman said during remarks on the House floor. As proof, the Georgia Republican claimed that some of those who participated in the deadly riot are being held “in solitary confinement.”
2) Former President George W. Bush told Fox News he doesn’t think withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan is “necessary,” saying he is “deeply concerned” that a “vacuum” will be created without a U.S. presence in the region.
President Biden, last month, announced that the U.S. will withdraw all its troops from Afghanistan on Sept. 11, the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
3) Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., suggested Thursday that Israel was the party responsible for the ongoing rocket attacks launched by Hamas, a terrorist organization, against the U.S. ally.
The left-wing congresswoman made the claim during a CNN appearance, alongside host Jake Tapper, while railing against Israel’s “pattern of action” that she says prompted Hamas’ “behavior.”
Tapper began the interview by noting Jayapal has been a critic of Israel, asking her what she thought the appropriate response should be from the country, considering the conflict began with “Hamas firing rockets indiscriminately at Israeli civilians.”
4) Republican Sen. John Kennedy pressed CDC Director Rochelle Walensky during a Senate hearing Wednesday to follow up on a tense exchange last week between Dr. Anthony Fauci and Sen. Rand Paul on funding for so-called “gain of function” research in the Chinese lab at the center of COVID-19’s origins.
Kennedy questioned Walensky about whether the US provided funding to the Wuhan lab for the controversial research, which focuses on making a virus more potent in the laboratory as a way to produce better vaccines against it.
“Not to my knowledge,” she said, adding that Fauci would be the best person to answer that question.
“Fauci seems confused,” Kennedy responded.
1) Col. Allen West, Chairman of the Texas Republican Party
2) Gil Broussand, Amateur Astronomer
3) Steve Konos, Ringside Politics Creative Director; Ringside Politics Parody of the Week
4) Josh Bernstein, Ringside All-Star