Ringside Politics – January 26, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on January 26, 2021
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) Chuck Schumer had an amusing Freudian slip while addressing the Senate Friday about former President Trump’s impeachment.
The Senate majority leader urged his colleagues to set a trial date for Trump’s impeachment for his role in inciting the riot on the Capitol which left five dead.
In his remarks, Schumer said, “make no mistake, there will be a trial and when that trial ends senators will have to decide if they believe Donald John Trump incited the erection” — then immediately corrected himself to say, “insurrection against the United States.”
2) The House impeachment managers formally triggered the start of former President Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial Monday evening after they walked across the Capitol and delivered to the Senate the charge against Trump, the first president in history to be impeached twice.
“As we continue to work to meet the final post-inauguration requirements, the National Guard has been requested to continue supporting federal law enforcement agencies with 7,000 members and will draw down to 5,000 through mid-March,” the statement reads. “We are providing assistance such as security, communications, medical evacuation, logistics and safety support to state district and federal agencies.”
At least 25,000 troops were sent to stand guard in the Washington, D.C., area in advance of President Joe Biden’s inauguration due to a continued “very high” threat level following the Capitol siege.
4) In his first day in office, President Joe Biden signed an executive order to halt the construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, which was meant to transport Canadian crude oil to the U.S., citing the climate-change crisis as the reason.
The move swiftly eliminated the estimated 11,000 U.S. jobs – including 8,000 union jobs – the project would have sustained in 2021.
Neal Crabtree, a welding foreman who began working on pipeline construction as an apprentice in 1997, was dismayed when he heard the news.
“This is not a time to be making political statements. We need to be finding ways to put more Americans back to work, not the other way around,” he said in an interview with Fox News.
1) Ted Harvey; Chairman of Committee to Defeat the President – videos into the first hour to discuss the latest in the new administration.
2) Michelle Hirstius; Ringside All-Star – calls in to discuss the events of the day and opine with callers.
3) Frosty Wooldridge; “Immigration Expert” – joins the show to discuss the perceived threats that immigration presents.
4) Monique Guild, Host of the Monique Guild Method – joins us to introduce heself and preview her new show. Make sure to tune into The Monique Guild Method, Thursdays on WGSO 990AM from 1-2!