RINGSIDE POLITICS – APRIL 9, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on April 9, 2021
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) “60 Minutes” is facing backlash for a story it aired Sunday on Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis — including from the supermarket chain Publix and two prominent Democrats in the state.
2) Major League Baseball’s (MLB) decision to relocate its 2021 All-Star Game could cost Georgia’s economy more than $100 million, a county tourism official has said.
Local hotels were already hit hard by the pandemic, Holly Quinlan, chief executive of Cobb Travel & Tourism, told told CNN.
“The 8,000-plus MLB contracted hotel room nights that will not actualize as a result of the MLB All-Star Game relocation will have a negative impact on Cobb’s hospitality industry and other local businesses, further delaying recovery,” she said.
The league’s decision was likely the “1st of many dominoes to fall,” Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said on Friday.
3) President Joe Biden on Thursday unveiled actions aimed at curbing gun violence, calling it an epidemic that “has to stop.”
Biden announced six steps, including tighter rules on buyers of home-assembled “ghost guns”; directing the Justice Department to draft policy on arm braces that steady pistols; model “red flag” legislation for states; funds for community-based violence intervention; and an annual report on firearms trafficking.
4) The Biden administration could decide Friday whether or not it is up to them to shut down the Dakota Access Pipeline.
In January, a federal appeals court determined that the government did not adequately evaluate the environmental impacts of a 2017 easement that enabled the pipeline’s construction, and ordered the government to do a more robust analysis.
The closely watched question on whether to stop the pipeline’s operations during this process is politically fraught, as as progressives have called for a shut down, while conservatives want to keep its oil flowing.
1) Rick Green, Founder, Patriot Academy
2) Chris Holton, Vice President of Outreach, Center for Security Policy – calls to discuss the latest in the Biden administration.
3) David Lipsky, CEO of Our Freedom Media Group
4) Donna Carol Voss, author and commentator joins in the final segment to take several callers, address today’s hot topics, and much more.