Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand on Wednesday tried to redefine “infrastructure” — and got torn down on social media for it.
Infrastructure is generally defined as “basic physical and organizational structures and facilities,” such as buildings, roads and power supplies.
But in a push for President Biden’s massive $2.3 trillion tax-and-spend plan, the New York Democrat attempted to pave a new meaning, tweeting: “Paid leave is infrastructure. Child care is infrastructure. Caregiving is infrastructure.”
The message drew a wall of mockery.
2) A Mexican community in Guerrero state is arming their children against drug cartels. Too afraid to step out of their enclave of 16 mountain villages in the violence-plagued area, residents say they have been left with little choice.
Corn farmers in the rugged region formed a self-defence “community police” militia to protect themselves five years ago and recruited children as young as six.
Videos of kids toting military-style guns emerged in 2020, making global headlines.
Residents remain deeply suspicious of regional authorities and local policemen, who they accuse of being the eyes and ears of the cartels.
3) The Biden administration said Monday it is turning to NASCAR, Discovery’s “The Deadliest Catch” and “country music TV” to convince rural white conservatives to get their COVID-19 vaccines — calling the effort an attempt to “meet people where they are.”
Speaking to reporters at her daily briefing, White House press secretary Jen Psaki discussed the effort after being asked about how the administration was handling the large swath of Republicans who do not want to be inoculated.
“We’ve run PSAs on ‘The Deadliest Catch,’ we’re engaged with NASCAR and Country Music TV,” the top White House spokeswoman said, referring to the CMT network.
1) Scott Walker, Former Governor of Wisconsin
2) Chris Laborde, Senior Transportation & Incident Management Planner at the New Orleans Regional Planning Commission
3) Louisiana State Treasurer John Schroder
4) Frosty Wooldridge, “Immigration Expert” – joins the show to discuss the perceived threats that immigration presents.
5) Mimi Crouere, Ringside All-Star – rendezvous with Jeff to opine and take callers.