RINGSIDE POLITICS – APRIL 13, 2021
Written by WGSO Producer on April 13, 2021
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Welcome to another edition of Ringside Politics with Jeff Crouere
Today’s Hot Topics:
1) The mere whiff of a scandal once unraveled political careers with stunning speed. Not anymore.
Embroiled in a federal sex trafficking investigation, Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida has denied the allegations, rebuffed suggestions that he resign and sent fundraising appeals that portray him as a victim of a “smear campaign.” During a high-profile appearance Friday night at former President Donald Trump’s Doral golf club in Miami, he vowed, “I have not yet begun to fight.”
“I’m built for the battle and I’m not going anywhere,” Gaetz said. “The smears against me range from distortions of my personal life to wild — and I mean wild — conspiracy theories.”
2) Crowds have clashed with riot police during a second night of protests in Minneapolis over the death of George Floyd, the black man who died in custody after being restrained by officers.
Thousands of protesters took to the streets as part of growing unrest sparked by a distressing video showing Mr Floyd, 46, being pinned to the ground by his neck by officers despite saying he could not breathe.
Police let off rubber bullets, tear gas and concussion grenades, some of which members of the crowd threw back, as looting also broke out.
As the violence escalated, a man was shot dead near the scene of protests. The man was found lying on the pavement at around 9.25pm with a gunshot wound and was taken to hospital, where he later died. A suspect has been arrested.
3) With an alarming rise in new Covid-19 infections and hospitalizations, officials say Michigan is now a hotspot for the virus in the US.
4) The top White House official leading efforts to address the migrant crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border will leave her post at the end of April, the White House announced Friday, stepping down as the administration continues struggling to cope with an influx of unaccompanied minors.
Roberta S. Jacobson, a former ambassador to Mexico and career State Department official, had been tasked with coordinating the Biden administration’s efforts, a broad and daunting task that led some to call her Biden’s “border czar.”
1) Jessica Rivera, Host & Reporter, Real America’s Voice – joins the show in the first hour to discuss the latest in the hot topics around Capitol Hill and the nation at large.
2) Michelle Hirstius; Ringside All-Star – calls in to talk about the latest political developments and opine with callers.
3) Bill Martinez, host of Bill Martinez Live – simulcasts with Jeff in the second hour to discuss the hot topics of the week and share their unique commentary.
4) John Fraboni, Operation Spark CEO –
5) Dr. Stephen Meye, Author of “The Returnof the God Hypothesis –